Saturday 17 November 2007

The sun, the beach and the board.


Two months ago I finished my law degree back home. It was the ending of an excellent year that saw Erasmus take me all the way to Poland.

I decided then that it was time to take one further step. Master degree in Frankfurt? Why not? Good career perspectives right in the middle of Europe’s financial heart.

Although I do believe this is the right choice I am leaving behind my dream of opening a bar at the beach, of surfing everyday until sunset and of playing guitar to my friends on Friday nights.

We all have our fantasies to believe we are special. But is not this dream something cheesy that just got into fashion after we received a couple of surf movies from the other side of the ocean? I would rather say no, unfortunately the more I think about it the more I believe it is. Surf stars became popular and nowadays everyone wants to be one. Douche bag clothes, 2 weeks beard, fake blond hair, (pretending to) surf during the day, singing by the fire at night became the main goal of several hundreds of wanna be´s.

But does it really matter when all of it gives a sensation of freedom hard to explain. Waking up in the morning and breed in the cool ocean breeze, the sound of the water beneath your board while ridding along with the wave, the joy and happiness after a whole day out in the open air, lying on the beach at sunset watching that big red ball sinking into the ocean and the comforting feeling of sand rubbing against your feet. Things legion to present to anyone who as not tried it yet. I miss all this, specially the peacefulness that grows on the inside.

But for now I am 2500 kms off that lifestyle, practicing to become a true financial market expert and maybe who knows, one day to be wealthy enough to push the dream back from the Treasure Island. I hope not too many others remember to go for the same goal I have, so that when I return, there is still a small piece of beach left for me to relive it from the memories of a late adolescence.




No comments: