Thursday 27 March 2008

378, 378, 378

When I was a boy, I am a big man right now, my favorite thing to spend money on were CD's. I reckon I built up a pretty extensive collection until a couple of years ago when, God bless the Internet, Napster and other download sites showed up, allowing everyone to get the music they wanted without having to pay the outrageous prices imposed by the record companies. I am a liberal and a true believer that capitalism is indeed the right way for an economy but regarding music my roots lie deep with hard core communism.

As a broke teenager, only able to buy one CD per month, I would listen to each album I possessed endlessly until I piled up enough money to go back to the shop. One thing that is true is if you spend long periods of time with the same thing in hands, you get bored and automatically start looking for new details, feeble as they might be, in order to keep it interesting. I reckon I didn't reinvent the wheel since I have spoken to a lot of people with similar opinion, but something told me that what I realized was not only a mere coincidence.
You must be wondering what the hell is he on about and why am I wasting my time reading this. The answer is simple. In every CD I bought tracks 3, 7 and 8 were always the best. Ah, you don't believe me? If you are my age and started to enjoy music in a serious way around 1994, Dookie from Green Day and Smash from Off Spring were milestones difficult to ignore. Taking a close on the line up of both albums and we can see that Basket Case is track 7 and Self Esteem is track 8. That's not all. Vs. from Pearl Jam sure can contain hits like Animal, Daughter and Go but which fan of Pearl Jam is going to deny the status of masterpiece to Rearview Mirror? In other hand try the same exercise with Use your Illusion from the Guns and see the results. Even Nevermind from Nirvana. Come as you are and Live and Let Die are track 3. It is not my intention to present an extensive justification. If you want to see more results just go through your CD collection for a bit and see for yourself.
As a good teenager back there I thought this was some kind of Conspiracy engineered by label companies or a certain sign to be taken into consideration only I never knew very well what to do about it. A little wiser nowadays I came up with the idea of doing a playlist with all tracks 3, 7, 8 of every rock album released in the 90's. haven't finished it yet but so far so (very) good. I definitely recommend it to everyone who loves music and with little to do. The last bit is not my case but when it comes to music there is always time. Till then a classic for all of you...

No comments: